Sites & cities that bear the name of Sepphoris


Today in : Israel
First trace of activity : ca. 5,000 B.C.E
Last trace of activity : ca. 20th century C.E
Recorded names : Nahal Zippori, צִפּוֹרִי‎, Tzipóri, Σέπφωρις, صفورية‎, Ṣaffūriya, Diocaesaraea, Διοκαισάρεια, le Saforie

Description : Sepphoris (/sɪˈfɔːrɪs/) or Zippori (/ˈzɪpəraɪ/; Hebrew: צִפּוֹרִי‎, romanized: Tzipóri; Ancient Greek: Σέπφωρις, romanized: Sépphōris; Arabic: صفورية‎, romanized: Ṣaffūriya), in the past called Diocaesaraea (Ancient Greek: Διοκαισάρεια) and, during the Crusades, le Saforie (Old French: le Saforie), is a former village and an archaeological site located in the central Galilee region of Israel, 6 kilometers north-northwest of Nazareth. It lies 286 meters above sea level and overlooks the Beit Netofa Valley. The site holds a rich and diverse historical and architectural legacy that includes Hellenistic, ancient Jewish, Roman, Byzantine, Islamic, Crusader, Arab and Ottoman remains. In Late Antiquity, it was believed to be the birthplace of Mary, mother of Jesus, and the village where Saints Anna and Joachim are often said to have resided, where today a 5th-century basilica is excavated at the site honouring the birth of Mary. Notable structures at the site include a Roman theatre, two early Christian churches, a Crusader fort partly rebuilt by Zahir al-Umar in the 18th century, and over sixty different mosaics dating from the third to the sixth century CE. "Mona Lisa of the Galilee", 4th-century Roman mosaic in Sepphoris Following the Bar Kokhba revolt of 132–135, Sepphoris was one of the Galilean centers where rabbinical families from Judea relocated. Remains of a synagogue dated to the first half of the fifth century were discovered on the northern side of town. In the 7th century, the town was conquered by the Arab Rashidun armies during the Muslim conquest of the Levant. Successive Muslim dynasties ruled the area until the Crusades. Until its depopulation during the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, Saffuriya was an Arab village. Moshav Tzippori was established adjacent to the site in 1949. It falls under the jurisdiction of Jezreel Valley Regional Council, and in 2019 had a population of 972. In 1992, the area occupied until 1948 by the Arab village, where the remains of the ancient city have been excavated, was designated an archaeological reserve named Zippori National Park.

See on map »